Dr. Hebert is the director of the BLINC Lab and has research appointments at the University of Alberta and a clinical appointment at the Glenrose Rehabilitation Hospital.
Dr. Hebert leads the interdisciplinary clinical team that performs upper limb Targeted Reinnervation (TR) surgery in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. Her research team studies advanced motor control and sensory feedback systems for upper limb myoelectric devices, under a group of projects known as “Bionic Limbs for Improved Natural Control” or “BLINC”. Research interests also include using technology to quantify and improve outcomes following limb amputation. Dr. Hebert is the Medical Advisor for the Glenrose Rehabilitation Hospital’s Computer-Assisted Rehabilitation Environment (CAREN) system.
- Associate Professor, Division of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation, Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry, University of Alberta.
- Associate Research Chair in Clinical Rehabilitation, Faculty of Rehabilitation Medicine, University of Alberta.
- Adjunct Associate Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Alberta.
- Adjunct Associate Professor, Department of Biomedical Engineering, University of Alberta.
- Adjunct Associate Professor, Department of Surgery, University of Alberta.
- Medical Lead, Adult Amputee Rehabilitation, Glenrose Rehabilitation Hospital, Alberta Health Services.
- Schoepp KR, Schofield JS, Home D, Dawson MR, Lou E, Keri M, Marasco PD, Hebert JS. Real time monitoring of transtibial elevated vacuum prostheses: A case series on socket air pressure. PLoS ONE. 2018, Oct; 13(10): e0202716. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0202716.
- Sturk JA, Lemaire E, Sinitski E, Dudek NL, Besemann M, Hebert JS, Baddour N. Gait Differences between K3 and K4 Persons with Transfemoral Amputation across Level and Non-Level Walking Conditions. Prosthetics & Orthotics International. 2018, Jul. Epub ahead of print. https://doi.org/10.1177/0309364618785724.
- Lavoie EB, Valevicius AM, Boser QA, Kovic O, Vette AH, Pilarski PM, Hebert JS, Chapman CS. Using synchronized eye and motion tracking to determine high-precision eye movement patterns during object interaction tasks. Journal of Vision. 2018, Jun; 18(6): 1–20. https://doi.org/10.1167/18.6.18.
- Valevicius AM, Boser QA, Lavoie EB, Murgatroyd G, Chapman CS, Pilarski PM, Vette AH, Hebert JS. Characterization of normative hand movements during two functional upper limb tasks. PLoS ONE. 2018, Jun; 13(6): e0199549. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0199549.
- Boser QA, Valevicius AM, Lavoie EB, Chapman CS, Pilarski PM, Hebert JS, Vette AH. Cluster-Based Upper Body Marker Models for Three-Dimensional Kinematic Analysis: Comparison with an Anatomical Model and Reliability Analysis. Journal of Biomechanics. 2018, Apr; 72: 228–34. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbiomech.2018.02.028.
- Marasco PD, Hebert JS, Sensinger JW, Shell CE, Schofield JS, Thumser ZC, Nataraj R, Beckler DT, Dawson MR, Blustein DH, Gill S, Mensh BD, Granja-Vazquez R, Newcomb MD, Carey JP, Orzell BM. Illusory movement perception improves motor control for prosthetic hands. Science Translational Medicine. 2018, Mar; 10(432): eaao6990. https://doi.org/10.1126/scitranslmed.aao6990.
- Valevicius AM, Jun PY, Hebert JS, Vette AH. Use of optical motion capture for the analysis of normative upper body kinematics during functional upper limb tasks: A systematic review. Journal of Electromyography and Kinesiology. Journal of Electromyography and Kinesiology. 2018, Feb; 40: 1–15. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jelekin.2018.02.011.
- Pilarski PM, Hebert JS. “Upper and Lower Limb Robotic Prostheses.” In: Robotic Assistive Technologies: Principles and Practice. Ed. P. Encarnacao and A. M. Cook, pp. 99-144. Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press, 2017. ISBN: 978-1-4987-4572-7. [Book Chapter]
- Sturk JA, Lemaire ED, Sinitski EH, Dudek NL, Besemann M, Hebert JS, Baddour N. Maintaining stable transfemoral amputee gait on level, sloped and simulated uneven conditions in a virtual environment. Disability and Rehabilitation: Assistive Technology. 2017, Dec: 1–10. https://doi.org/10.1080/17483107.2017.1420250.
- Hebert JS, Rehani M, Stiegelmar, RS. Limb Osseointegration for Lower Limb Amputation: A Systematic Review of Published Outcomes. JBJS Reviews. 2017, Oct; 5(10): e10. http://dx.doi.org/10.2106/JBJS.RVW.17.00037.
- Schofield JS, Schoepp KR, Williams HE, Carey JP, Marasco PD, Hebert JS. Characterization of interfacial socket pressure in transhumeral prostheses: A case series. PLoS ONE. 2017, Jun; 12(6): e0178517. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0178517.
- Perigny-Lajoie S, Hebert JS. A scoping review on heterogeneity in rehabilitation research: Implications for return to duty in military population. Journal of Military, Veteran and Family Health. 2016; 2(2): 73–95. https://jmvfh.utpjournals.press/doi/full/10.3138/jmvfh.3972
- Hebert JS and Burger H. Return to Work Following Major Limb Loss. In: Handbook of Return to Work: From Research to Practice (editors: Schultz IZ and Gatchel RJ). Springer New York. ISBN 2198-7084. 2016. [Book Chapter]
- Schofield JS, Evans KR, Hebert JS, Marasco PD, Carey JP. The Effect of Biomechanical Variables on Force Sensitive Resistor Error: Implications for Calibration and Improved Accuracy. Journal of Biomechanics. 2016 Mar; 49(5): 786–92. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbiomech.2016.01.022.
- Hebert JS, Chan KM, Dawson MR. Comparing cutaneous sensory outcomes from three transhumeral targeted reinnervation cases. Prosthetics and Orthotics International. 2016 Jun; 40(3): 303–10. https://doi.org/10.1177/0309364616633919.
- Edwards AL, Dawson MR, Hebert JS, Sherstan C, Sutton RS, Chan KM, Pilarski PM. Application of Real-time Machine Learning to Myoelectric Prosthesis Control: A Case Series in Adaptive Switching. Prosthetics and Orthotics International. 2016 Oct; 40(5): 573–81. https://doi.org/10.1177/0309364615605373.
- Sinitski EH, Lemaire ED, Baddour N, Besemann M, Dudek NL, Hebert JS. Fixed and Self-paced Treadmill Walking for Able-bodied and Transtibial Amputees in a Multi-terrain Virtual Environment. Gait and Posture. 2015, Feb; 41(2): 568–573. http://authors.elsevier.com/sd/article/S0966636214007991.
- Schofield JS, Dawson MR, Carey JP, Hebert JS. Characterizing the effects of amplitude, frequency and limb position on vibration induced movement illusions: Implications in sensory-motor rehabilitation. Technology and Health Care. 2015, Jan; 23(2): 129–41. https://doi.org/10.3233/THC-140879.
- Hebert JS, Parent E, Rehani M, Hébert LJ, Stiegelmar R, Besemann M. Use of the CAREN system as a treatment adjunct for Canadian Armed Forces members with chronic non-specific low back pain: a pilot study. Journal of Military, Veteran & Family Health. 2015; 1(1). https://jmvfh.utpjournals.press/doi/abs/10.3138/jmvfh.2014-05.
- Schofield JS, Evans KR, Carey JP, Hebert JS. Applications of Sensory Feedback in Motorized Upper Extremity Prosthesis: A Review. Expert Review of Medical Devices. 2014 Sep; 11(5): 499–511. https://doi.org/10.1586/17434440.2014.929496.
- Hebert JS, Lewicke J, Williams TR, Vette AH. Normative data for a modified Box and Blocks test measuring upper limb function via motion capture. Journal of Rehabilitation Research and Development. 2014; 51(6): 919–932. http://dx.doi.org/10.1682/JRRD.2013.10.0228.
- Hebert JS, Elzinga K, Chan KM, Olson JL, Morhart MJ. Updates in Targeted Sensory Reinnervation for Upper Limb Amputation. Current Surgery Reports. 2014; 2(3): 45–53. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40137-013-0045-7.
- Hebert JS, Olson JL, Morhart MJ, Dawson MR, Marasco PD, Kuiken TA, Chan KM. Novel Targeted Sensory Reinnervation Technique To Restore Functional Hand Sensation After Transhumeral Amputation. IEEE Transactions on Neural Systems and Rehabilitation Engineering. 2014, Jul; 22(4): 765–773. https://doi.org/10.1109/TNSRE.2013.2294907.
- Pilarski PM, Dawson MR, Degris T, Carey JP, Chan KM, Hebert JS, Sutton RS. Adaptive Artificial Limbs: A Real-Time Approach to Prediction and Anticipation. IEEE Robotics & Automation Magazine. 2013; 20(1): 53–64. https://doi.org/10.1109/MRA.2012.2229948.
- Hebert JS, Lewicke J. Case report of a modified Box and Blocks test with motion capture to measure prosthetic function. Journal of Rehabilitation Research and Development. 2012; 49(8): 1163–1174. http://dx.doi.org/10.1682/JRRD.2011.10.0207.
- Hebert JS, Payne MW, Wolfe DL, Devlin M. Comorbidities in Amputation: A systematic review of hemiplegia and lower limb amputation. Disability and Rehabilitation. 2012; 34(23): 1943–1949. https://doi.org/10.3109/09638288.2012.665131.
- Hebert JS, Wolfe DL, Miller WC, Deathe AB, Devlin M, Pallaveshi L. Outcome measures in amputation rehabilitation: ICF Body Functions. Disability and Rehabilitation. 2009; 31(19): 1541–1554. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/09638280802639467.
- Deathe AB, Wolfe DL, Devlin M, Hebert JS, Miller WC, Pallaveshi L. Selection of outcome measures in lower extremity amputation rehabilitation: ICF Activities. Disability and Rehabilitation. 2009; 31(18): 1455–1473. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/09638280802639491.