Dr. Hebert is the director of the BLINC Lab, and has research appointments at the University of Alberta and a clinical appointment at the Glenrose Rehabilitation Hospital.
Dr. Hebert leads the interdisciplinary clinical team that performs upper limb Targeted Reinnervation (TR) surgery in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. Her research team studies advanced motor control and sensory feedback systems for upper limb myoelectric devices, under a group of projects known as “Bionic Limbs for Improved Natural Control” or “BLINC”. Research interests also include using technology to quantify and improve outcomes following limb amputation. Dr. Hebert is the Medical Advisor for the Glenrose Rehabilitation Hospital’s Computer-Assisted Rehabilitation Environment (CAREN) system.
- Associate Professor, Division of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation, Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry, University of Alberta.
- Associate Research Chair in Clinical Rehabilitation, Faculty of Rehabilitation Medicine, University of Alberta.
- Adjunct Associate Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Alberta.
- Adjunct Associate Professor, Department of Biomedical Engineering, University of Alberta.
- Adjunct Associate Professor, Department of Surgery, University of Alberta.
- Medical Lead, Adult Amputee Rehabilitation, Glenrose Rehabilitation Hospital, Alberta Health Services.
- Schofield JS1., Schoepp KR2, Williams H1, Carey JP1., Marasco PD3,4., Hebert JS5. Characterization of Interfacial Socket Pressure in Transhumeral Prostheses: a Case Series. PLOS One. Accepted May 2017. In Press.
- Perigny-Lajoie S, Hebert JS. A scoping review on heterogeneity in rehabilitation research: Implications for return to duty in military population. Journal of Military, Veteran and Family Health. 2016. Vol. 2(2), 73-95.
- Hebert JS and Burger H. Return to Work Following Major Limb Loss. In: Handbook of Return to Work: From Research to Practice (editors: Schultz IZ and Gatchel RJ). Springer New York. ISBN 2198-7084. 2016.
- Schofield JS, Evans KR, Hebert JS, Marasco PD, Carey JP. The Effect of Biomechanical Variables on Force Sensitive Resistor Error: Implications for Calibration and Improved Accuracy. Journal of Biomechanics. 2016 Mar 21;49(5):786-92.
- Hebert JS, Chan KM, Dawson MR. Comparing cutaneous sensory outcomes from three transhumeral targeted reinnervation cases. Prosthet Orthot Int. 2016 Jun;40(3):303-10.
- Edwards AL, Dawson MR, Hebert JS, Sherstan C, Sutton RS, Chan KM, Pilarski PM. Application of Real-time Machine Learning to Myoelectric Prosthesis Control: A Case Series in Adaptive Switching. Prosthet Orthot Int 2016 Oct;40(5):573-81.
- Sinitski EH, Lemaire ED, Baddour N, Besemann M, Dudek NL, Hebert JS. Fixed and Self-paced Treadmill Walking for Able-bodied and Transtibial Amputees in a Multi-terrain Virtual Environment. Gait and Posture. Feb 2015. vol 41, issue 2, pages 568-573. http://authors.elsevier.com/sd/article/S0966636214007991
- Schofield JS, Dawson MR, Carey JP, Hebert JS. Characterizing the effects of amplitude, frequency and limb position on vibration induced movement illusions: Implications in sensory-motor rehabilitation. Technology and Health Care. 2015 Jan 1;23(2):129-41. doi: 10.3233/THC-140879. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25425585
- Hebert JS, Parent E, Rehani M, Hébert LJ, Stiegelmar R, Besemann M. Use of the CAREN system as a treatment adjunct for Canadian Armed Forces members with chronic non-specific low back pain: a pilot study. Journal of Military, Veteran & Family Health. 2015;1(1). http://utpjournals.metapress.com/content/a7w77k78v6w55751/fulltext.pdf
- Schofield JS, Evans KR, Carey JP, Hebert JS. Applications of Sensory Feedback in Motorized Upper Extremity Prosthesis: A Review. Expert Review of Medical Devices. 2014 Sep;11(5):499-511. http://informahealthcare.com/doi/abs/10.1586/17434440.2014.929496
- Hebert JS, Lewicke J, Williams TR, Vette AH. Normative data for a modified Box and Blocks test measuring upper limb function via motion capture. Journal of Rehabilitation Research and Development. 2014;51(6):919-932. http://dx.doi.org/10.1682/JRRD.2013.10.0228
- Hebert JS, Elzinga K, Chan KM, Olson JL, Morhart MJ. Updates in Targeted Sensory Reinnervation for Upper Limb Amputation. Current Surgery Reports 2014, vol. 2, no. 3, pages 45-53. DOI: 10.1007/s40137-013-0045-7. http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s40137-013-0045-7
- Hebert JS, Olson JL, Morhart MJ, Dawson MR, Marasco PD, Kuiken TA, Chan KM. Novel Targeted Sensory Reinnervation Technique To Restore Functional Hand Sensation After Transhumeral Amputation. IEEE Transactions on Neural Systems and Rehabilitation Engineering. July 2014. Vol 22, No 4, pages 765-773. DOI: 10.1109/TNSRE.2013.2294907
- Pilarski PM, Dawson MR, Degris T, Carey JP, Chan KM, Hebert JS, Sutton RS. Adaptive Artificial Limbs: A Real-Time Approach to Prediction and Anticipation. IEEE Robotics & Automation Magazine 2013, vol. 20, no.1, pages 53-64. DOI: 10.1109/MRA.2012.2229948
- Hebert JS, Lewicke J. Case report of a modified Box and Blocks test with motion capture to measure prosthetic function. Journal of Rehabilitation Research and Development 2012, Vol 49, No 8, pages 1163-1174. http://dx.doi.org/10.1682/JRRD.2011.10.0207
- Hebert JS, Payne MW, Wolfe DL, Devlin M. Comorbidities in Amputation: A systematic review of hemiplegia and lower limb amputation. Disability and Rehabilitation 2012, Vol. 34, No. 23, Pages 1943-1949. PMID 22424496
- Hebert JS, Wolfe DL, Miller WC, Deathe AB, Devlin M, Pallaveshi L. Outcome measures in amputation rehabilitation: ICF Body Functions. Disability and Rehabilitation 2009, Vol. 31, No. 19: Pages 1541-1554. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/09638280802639467
- Deathe AB, Wolfe DL, Devlin M, Hebert JS, Miller WC, Pallaveshi L. Selection of outcome measures in lower extremity amputation rehabilitation: ICF Activities. Disability and Rehabilitation 2009, Volume: 31, Issue: 18, Pages: 1455-1473. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/09638280802639491